Here at Purple Lane, we love practical footwear for little ones. There are two styles available – slippers and boots.
Prices say ‘from’ because the exact price will depend on the fabric used and where I have been able to source it. The starting price is applicable to in-stock cotton fabrics. Wrap scraps vary a lot in price from the budget wrap companies to high end wraps.
I started making little slippers because that was the style of soft shoe that best suited my boys when they were crawling and cruising. These have an elasticated ankle to try and get a good fit around slimmer and chubbier legs. I usually line the inside with velour, plush or fleece, making them soft and snuggly inside, but I can also line them with cotton for warmer climates than the UK.
Then came the idea to make boots that come higher up the calf, to add warmth for out and about in the sling or buggy where trousers can be tucked into the boots. The boots were designed from scratch at Purple Lane and so far I have seen very few alternatives. They actually stay on even the liveliest of kicking feet, as proven by many happy customers, thanks to the hidden elastic in the ankle. They are usually lined with polar fleece, making them warm and soft, but I can also line them with cotton for warmer climates than the UK.
For both slippers and boots, sizes 0-3m and 3-6m have a soft sole, and sizes 6-12m and beyond have a gripper sole – thick cotton canvas with little vinyl grippy feet – EXCEPT that boots made out of PUL (waterproof fabric) also have a PUL sole because a cotton gripper sole would negate their showerproof nature and absorb water. I also offer optional leather toe caps for £1 extra and leather soles £2 extra – real leather makes them harder wearing than soft fabric, particularly useful for crawlers who can scuff the toes.
As for sizing in the 0-12m range, these are age guides based on average sized babies. If you are unsure on which size to choose, I recommend at least 1cm on the end of the foot length for a good fit with room to grow, and it’s best if you measure with socks on, from the back of the heel to the end of the big toe along the sole of the foot. If you need any more advice on this, please get in touch.
Size 0-3 months – sole length 10cm
- Slippers – plain cotton £6, patterned cotton from £6.50, wrap scrap from £7
- Boots – plain cotton £12, patterned cotton from £13, laminate from £14, wrap scrap from £14
Size 3-6 months – sole length 11cm
- Slippers – plain cotton £6.50, patterned cotton from £7, wrap scrap from £7.50
- Boots – plain cotton £13, patterned cotton from £14, laminate from £15, wrap scrap from £15
Size 6-12 months – sole length 12.5cm
- Slippers – plain cotton £7.50, patterned cotton from £8, wrap scrap from £8.50
- Boots – plain cotton £15, patterned cotton from £16, laminate from £17, wrap scrap from £17
Shoe sizes 4 (12-18m) & 5 (18-24m)
- Slippers – plain cotton £8, patterned cotton from £8.50, wrap scrap from £9
- Boots – plain cotton £16, patterned cotton from £17, laminate from £18, wrap scrap from £18
Shoe sizes 6 & 7
- Slippers – plain cotton £8.50, patterned cotton from £9, wrap scrap from £9.50
- Boots – plain cotton £17, patterned cotton from £18, laminate from £19, wrap scrap from £19
Shoe sizes 8 & 9
- Slippers – plain cotton £9, patterned cotton from £9.50, wrap scrap from £10
- Boots – plain cotton £18, patterned cotton from £19, laminate from £20, wrap scrap from £20
Shoe sizes 10 & 11
- Slippers – plain cotton £10, patterned cotton from £10.50, wrap scrap from £11
- Boots – plain cotton £20, patterned cotton from £21, wrap scrap from £22
Shoe sizes 12 & 13
- Slippers – plain cotton £11, patterned cotton from £11.50, wrap scrap from £12
- Boots – plain cotton £22, patterned cotton from £23, wrap scrap from £24
And slippers and boots are available for adults too!
Since making soft shoes and boots for babies and toddlers, I’ve been asked to make them for mummies and daddies too. They are available to order in UK adult shoe sizes, and all have a gripper sole. Leather toe caps are also available for £2 extra per pair.
- Slippers – from £17, or customer-sourced outer fabric from £14
- Boots – from £30, or customer-sourced outer fabric from £23
- Slippers – from £18, or customer-sourced outer fabric from £15
- Boots – from £31, or customer-sourced outer fabric from £24
- Slippers – from £19, or customer-sourced outer fabric from £16
- Boots – from £32, or customer-sourced outer fabric from £25
- Slippers – from £20, or customer-sourced outer fabric from £17
- Boots – from £33, or customer-sourced outer fabric from £26
All prices do not include postage – please see postage charges